An integrated community and township, Larder Lake is located in the district of Timiskaming in Northeastern Ontario. It is situated alongside Highway 624 and Highway 66 in the Larder Lake’s north-western area. The township’s area is 88.67 square miles or 229.65 square kilometers.
Sited within Larder Lake-Cadillac Fault Zone, a region geologically rich in valuable metals and other minerals, the town was the place of the Northeastern Ontario’s first gold rush. In 1903, silver was discovered in Cobalt, Ontario which led to the search of spectators around the northern part of Ontario for other new discoveries.
In 1904, the area of Larder Lake was explored by H.L. Kerr but gold was not found. In 1906, together with Bill Addison, his partner, they returned and luckily discovered gold tracks near the Larder Lake north arm. There were 40 companies for gold mining established after a few months and incredible optimism as well as financial speculation aroused.
In 1907, a company for mining investment published in Ottawa Citizen a certain advertisement stating that the Larder Lake district is assumed to be the most affluent gold country yet known and is currently being opened for opportunities and will begin outpouring gold tremendously to civilization. Through portage and canoe, 3000 men went to the Larder Lake area to find work and settled a camp in the Larder City. In 1911, the town was left abandoned as pure excitement turned into great disappointment because no large gold deposits were found.
From 1907 to 1911, production was brought by a mine and was able to significantly produce 314-dollar worth of gold and this small amount was then used to issue the first five dollars gold pieces of Canada. The establishment of some productive mines in Larder Lake was led by the discovery of a large deposit of gold in 1936.
Larder Lake - Visiting Canada? Why not to record the footage of this beautiful country with Tiny 4K Ultra Def quality camera?
In 1930, the Ontario Highway 66 was constructed to be able to connect the different mining towns of the region. Also, the highway linked Larder Lake all the way to Kirkland Lake on the western part. For other different mining communities, this connected them form the eastern part. In 1944, the section between Larder Lake and Kirkland Lake was paved.
A boat going to Miller Island through the Larder Lake on a fishing voyage upturned and killed 7 people on board in 1937. The searchers have discovered the alleged boat filled with water while recovering dead bodies. John C. Skinner, the captain of the boat and Chief Engineer of Lake Shore Mining Company, had been cautioned by a certain forest ranger that weather conditions can be too risky for the voyage.
In 1938, the Lakeshore Hotel was shattered while the guests lost their belongings but luckily, there were no injuries reported. In 1941, laborers from the Omega Gold Mine in Larder Lake earned $4.64 each day while the mine captain earned $8.70 every day. In 1943, Omega Gold Mine was awarded with the John T. Ryan trophy by Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum because they had the lowest frequency of accident in the country during the preceding year.
In 1947, Larder Lake’s Catholic Church was burned right after the Sunday mass but there were no injuries reported although, the organ drapes, sacred vessels, and pews were all destroyed. The fire department of the Larder Lake beat 22 fire brigades and took the first place in the regional competition for Timiskaming Firemen’s Association in 1952.
In 1965, the train station of the Larder Lake situated at the north-east part of the town was the place where a huge robbery happened. In Ottawa, 5 gold bars that worth $165,000 were awaiting delivery when 4 alleged armed men suddenly broke in. It is believed that the float plane seen in the Larder Lake was used as their getaway.
In July 17, 2006, a destructive storm moved throughput northeastern Ontario with maximum sustained wind of 120 kilometer per hour to 150 kilometer per hour. Around 1,904 hectares of Larder Lake southwest forest was destroyed. And in January 1, 2010, the 2010 torch relay Winter Olympics passed through the Larder Lake.
The Town of Larder Lake that is perfectly nestled in the beautiful Larder Lake banks that is roughly 15 kilometers from the borders of Quebec is affluent for historical lore such as Natives tales 5000 years ago, lumber mills and camps in 1900s, European traders who struggled for trading routes and posts, and many more.
Today, the place serves as home for local mining operations and forestry as well as community for industry employees nearby towns. The surrounding’s craggy beauty of waterways and wilderness welcome the enthusiast. Apart from fishing and hunting, the region is also known for greater recreational activities such as hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, and water sports. There are also numerous old logging paths and trails in the area for off-road vehicles and ATVs.
Larder Lake provides a friendly atmosphere in the town that invites old and young people. The unique Northern and lakefront charm collaborates to make a community that is a perfect option for those who want to get rid of the city life. Residents enjoy different amenities and services which make Larder Lake an ideal place to be. This town can truly be called home that offers serenity and peace of mind.
The Larder Lake town provides great opportunities for more businesses and other needs such as company location. The industries found in the area are forestry and milling. Residents are mostly employed by gold mine production companies. Exploration of gold mines in the area continues to offer great opportunities.
The trade area of the Larder Lake extends roughly at 150 kilometers wide. The area holds a population of 98,397 and includes the districts of Temiscaminque and Rouyn-Noranda in Quebec and the district of Timiskaming in Ontario. The town can really offer an ideal location for business.
The town also own 6.1 hectares on Highway 66 for light industrial. Presently, 10 acres are for sale in the industrial park. The town has allocated a huge portion of its property for railway that is available for development.